Slackware Linux: Adventures in Dependencies

In my last post about , I mentioned how does not automatically resolve dependencies.

Tonight, I had to deal with a dependency issue in order to run Opera, my favorite browser ™. Here’s how I dealt with it.

I downloaded and installed . It installed without errors, but, when I tried to start it, it didn’t.

So I opened a terminal window as root and started Opera from the command line, like this:

    cd /usr/bin
    ./opera

It threw an error message that it needed the file libqt-mo.so.3.3.8.

The whereis command revealed that there was no file in a default Slackware Linux 13.0 installation whose name started with libqt-mo.so.

I teleported into my Slackware Linux 12.2 box and found the file. In fact, I found several files whose first name was libqt-mo.so. I scp’d them all over to my Slackware 13.0 box and copied them to the /usr/lib/qt/lib directory, which was the name of the directory in which I found them on the 12.2 computer.

Still no luck. Opera continued to complain that it could not find the file in /usr/lib/opera/10.10.

Never one to use a scalpel when a hammer would do, I muscled them right into /usr/lib/opera/10.10.

Bingo! Opera ran.

It’s busy synchronizing itself right now.

(Visited 63 times, 1 visits today)

Geekazine.com