I put together a panel for SXSW on podcasting. I need your help in getting it accepted. Please vote here. New TWIGG this week as we talk about cops wearing glass and referees wearing glass. Band played twice on Saturday, which really makes for a fun Sunday.
Hotline – 608-205-4378 – geekazine (at) gmail.com
Subscribe to the podcast via: iTunes – TechPodcasts – Stitcher
You can catch me on Twitter @geekazine – Facebook Group – About.Me
Other shows: Day in Tech History – Geekazine Special Media Feed – iPad365
Geek Smack! episode 271 Tech News:
It’s not everyday I go off-tech for a story, but this one disturbs me. Teenagers in Oklahoma killed a person “just for the fun of it”. The result, Christopher Lane was killed in what seemed to be a game. They even quoted: ‘We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody’. 3 boys from 15-17 will be in court today and tried as adults. It’s not true justice for the game of Lane’s life.
Yahoo Email Closing
– The Chinese Yahoo email is closing, moving accounts to the acquired Alimail
Real Time Traffic
– Google updating maps with Waze software so you can see where the problems are on the roads
– Apple is expected to release two models of the 7th gen iPhone – 5S and 5C with gold back
– Amazon goes down for an hour
– Dell Foglight software can detect ghost Virtual Machines and remove them
– Google goes down for 5 minutes. expected to have lost $500,000
HP Photo Ball
– Concert beach ball that sends video to the screen and pictures come out instantly
Geek Smack! Geek News
– Samsung is poised for their Mega phone, but will they also put out a smartwatch?
Groklaw Shutting Down
– The online open source patent and software announcement site says NSA is pressuring them.
-A Japan airing of Castle in the Sky caused a record number of tweets per second (TPS).
US Homeland Security
– McAffee exec announced as next US Homeland Security cheif
Amazon Xbox One Promotion
– Turn in certain XBox 360 games and get XBox One games for $10
– Instagram is banning apps that have an Insta or gram in their titles
I have a friend that hates the Internet. She cringes when the words “Facebook” or “Google” even come up. She’s been on only a couple of times – but otherwise I’ll get a call asking to print off some document she needs.
Even though more homes are investing in broadband Internet, the New York Times reports roughly 20 percent of American adults do not use the Internet at home, work or via mobile. Some are by choice, yet others do not have the money for this amenity.
76% of white American households and 57% of African-American households use the Internet. Approximately 50% of people 65 and older go online, while 75% under 65 use the Internet.
Average home Internet costs are around $30 a month. Some people might not be able to pay the minimal fee (usually 19.95). Others just don’t justify it and rather have cable.
Things that can change a persons mind might include set top boxes – getting content like Netflix through your computer or streaming media device. Phone connections, including video connections – maybe having a weekly phone call with Mom and Dad.
For those who don’t have home Internet, help them out. Like I said before, I will print out documents for my friend if she needs them. She can always come over and use my connections and I will search and find information for anyone that asks – of course within reason.
Geek Smack! is a weekly video show and podcast that comes out every Tuesday evening. Your host: Jeffrey Powers – talks tech news, IT news and geek news for the week. Geek Smack! is ©2013 under a Creative Commons no-deriv license. Dog Days of Summer – enjoy it! If you would like more information about what is technology, recent news, Geekazine, and Jeffrey Powers, feel free to contact him. Jeffrey Powers does interviews, just ask!