Is Yahoo Pulling Out of China?
Last week I was on a one-day contract. I’m back this week with another great show! You might notice a small difference on the video as I decided after 3 years to change up the beard. Let me know what you think! Day in Tech History had a brute force attack over the weekend. It was annoying – the attacker tried 525,000 times before giving up. Hope you all had a great Labor Day – I spent it playing with the band, relaxing and having fun. Now its time to switch gears and get out of Summer mode.
Hotline – 608-205-4378 – geekazine (at) gmail.com
Subscribe to the podcast via: iTunes – TechPodcasts – Stitcher
You can catch me on Twitter @geekazine – Facebook Group – About.Me
Other shows: Day in Tech History – Geekazine Special Media Feed – iPad365
Geek Smack! episode 272 Tech News:
– Microsoft buys the hardware division of Nokia for $7 billion and maybe Microsoft’s next CEO…
– Time Warner and CBS reach an agreement to turn their stations back on the cable giant
Password Software Improved
– New Password hacking software can handle up to 55 character passwords.
Facebook Flaw Fixed
– Hackers could delete Facebook photos through this backdoor. It’s now fixed.
Western Digital Updates
-New NAS and SATA drives
– Amazon leaks new Kindle paperwhite debuting on their Sept 30th event
Geek Smack! Geek News
Reddit RT.com Ban
– r/news bans RT.com from the list for manipulation and spamming
IFA Kicks Off
– IFA starts this week. New technologies like smartwatches, phone lens attachements and more powerful smartphones will be debuted.
– Interesting Before and After photos from Google Earth
– Streaming Spotify to wireless speakers
– e-book buyers could get $3.06 a book settlement for a price fixing issue
Geek Smack: Yahoo! is Leaving China?
Two weeks ago I reported that Yahoo! email was closing. Overnight, Yahoo! took things one step further as they ceased news and community services, moving everyone over to Alibaba. Is this showing that Yahoo! is getting out of China?
Yahoo! decided to close their email services in China and port users over to Aliyun – also an Alibaba property. The email registration closed on Aug 19, but you have until December 2014 to switch email.
So is Yahoo! pulling out of China? Not necessarily.
Yahoo! has a 40 percent stake in Alibaba. To compete with the giant is not always the best solution. In fact, Yahoo! has been phasing out their presence in China since 2005 when the web site shut down.
By Yahoo! giving more traffic to Alibaba, they have a good chance of making a lot of money when Alibaba goes public.
Yahoo! Also has a bad name in China. If you follow my Day in Tech History podcast (Sept 7, 2005), you know that Yahoo! caused two journalists to be imprisoned because of Chinese law. This has haunted Yahoo! since.
So the end result is it looks like Yahoo! is pulling out of China, but has a lot of strong ties. As long as those being forced to leave Yahoo! mail decide to move to Alibaba.
Geek Smack! is a weekly video show and podcast that comes out every Tuesday evening. Your host: Jeffrey Powers – talks tech news, IT news and geek news for the week. Geek Smack! is ©2013 under a Creative Commons no-deriv license. Dog Days of Summer – enjoy it! If you would like more information about what is technology, recent news, Geekazine, and Jeffrey Powers, feel free to contact him. Jeffrey Powers does interviews, just ask!