Taking a first look at the MOVO GM-5 Double Gooseneck microphone. I’ll be unboxing, and of course talking into the microphone so you can hear how it sounds.
This is a podium style microphone meant to sit on a desktop with the cardoid microphone reaching to the mouth. This is meant for anyone who is podcasting, live streaming, or just on regular Zoom and Teams calls.
The microphone is plug and play through the USB cable, and works on a PC or Mac.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 00:45 Unbox and Setup of MOVO GM-5
- 03:02 Talking through MOVO GM-5
- 04:06 Direct Plosives of the GM-5
- 04:48 Distance Check
- 05:35 Final Thoughts
Pros of the GM-5
- The base is fairly solid, so it won’t slide away.
- The double gooseneck allows me to position the microphone in a way where it’s close to my mouth, but not in the way. The unit also has a built-in headphone jack.
- Simple connection, and it comes apart for easy storage.
Cons of the GM-5
- It’s really missing a volume option for the headphones and even the microphone.
- Directly talking into the microphone will give you plosives. It’s really best to have this sit on the corner of your mouth.
On the Fence
- Off axis rejection is decent, but it still picks up a lot of the room.
- Table taps are fairly noticeable – so typing on a keyboard will transfer through easy.
- Mute button is not a tactile feel, but the red/white light for on/off helps with indication. You can hear when I’m turning off the mic through a harder tap.
- Included cable is USB-C to USB-A. Might need an adapter if you are going to use on newer machines.
Price and Availability
Is it the best USB Microphone for you? Let me know in the comments!