At CES 2024, I not only visited the SK Wonderland booth on the show floor (I saw a larger part of SK’s T.UM tour I got in South Korea), I got to go behind the scenes of how SK is using AI to innovate in multiple areas. SK Group, based in Seoul, South Korea, is one of the country’s largest conglomerates. It is also the largest wireless carrier in South Korea, with leading market share in the mobile telecommunications market since its establishment in 1984.
Some of the Innovations at SK Telecom’s Booth
At the heart of CES 2024, SK Telecom’s booth was a hub of technological advancements. This includes:
- AI Media Studio: Yun from AI Media Studio introduced us to SK Telecom’s media technology cloud, offering services like AI-powered media upscaling, caption generation and sound separation. Their AI transporter technology, which transcodes video into various resolutions, while improving the look. What is most interesting is how they reduce cost significantly by splitting the file in half, then processing files in parallel.
- Litimus+: this is a digital CWI system that tracks and analyzes movement and network details on a regional and building basis. This technology can revolutionize urban planning and retail strategies by providing detailed, high-resolution data about people’s movement patterns.
If you have a majority of customers driving across town to be frequent consumers at a popular store, then plans can be made to either move, or build another store closer to the customer base. This will not only make customers happier, but also change the environmental impact on consumers driving longer distances.
- Excalibur – A Veterinary AI Diagnostic Service: The service is only for Cats and Dogs right now, but this AI system will diagnose common pet diseases and then provide AI diagnostic results within 15 seconds. This could help understand your pet’s needs so they can live a longer, happier life. This is also a game-changer for veterinary medicine.
- Revolutionizing Microscopy with Intelligence Vision: Perhaps the most groundbreaking revelation was Intelligence Vision. They’ve developed a microvision sensor that performs the functions of a traditional optical microscope but in a more advanced and efficient manner.
This technology can be used for various tests, including COVID antigen tests, and even in labs for cell counting and viability assessments.
Data Center Energy Solutions and Innovations
As AI services grow, so does the demand for AI data centers. SK Telecom is leading the way with innovative energy solutions that include using renewable energy sources and advanced cooling systems to enhance data center efficiency. Their immersion cooling system, using electrically insulated mineral oil, keeps high-performance servers cool and efficient.
There was a lot more I got to see in the AI Data Center. Don’t forget to check out these creators and their tour around the SK data center:
- Stop the FOMO: Interview with the HBM Team
- Lon.TV: Advanced AI Dispatch
- SK Hynix Newsroom
- Check out more from Korea
Disclaimer: I was compensated and/or received product to create this content. All opinions on this are my own and are not influenced by the companies who compensated me. You can review the policy here.