Geek Smack! #191: Google+ vs Facebook – Fight of the Century
www.thegeeksmack.com – This week’s episode of Geek Smack! Happy post- 4th of July all. Hope you had your share of burgers and blowin stuff up. It’s been a thin weekend of news because everyone has been salivating over a new Social Network. Still, we have a full show of Smack for you, so here it is. Do you like the new format? Take my small survey and let me know!
Geek Smack Sponsor board!
Backup with Mozy, use code “Geek” for 15% off! Mozy Unlimited Backup – $4.95/Month
Sticher: Sign up, download and you could win $100
The video portion of this show is shot using Wirecast for Windows – Also for Mac OS X
Check out the Geekazine Store
Hotline – 608-205-4378 – geekazine (at) gmail.com
Download the audio version
Subscribe: Feedburner – Zune – iTunes – TechPodcasts – Blubrry – Stitcher
You can catch me on Twitter – Plurk – Myspace – About.Me – Facebook Group
Day in Tech History – 5 Tech Things You Should Know – The OTT – Geekazine Special Media Feed
Geek Smack! Tech News:
Obama is NOT Dead
-Twitter account hacked. Twitter is a great place for information, but a news event like this will hit everywhere if true.
Verizon Dropping Unlimited
– Beware of the unlimited plan. There is no such thing anymore.
Mobile Payments to Triple by 2015
– No wonder – we are moving to a mobile lifestyle.
Nap Time on Wifi Could Save Battery Life
– Duke University student asks why can’t the wifi “Take a nap” to save battery life?
Skype 5.2 for Mac Arrives
– Video conferencing for Mac users!
RUMOR: Apple Ships Lion ‘Gold Master’
NEW SEGMENT – Geek Smack! Dubbed
Apple Orders 15 million iPhone 5s
– Expected to have A5 Dual core chips and a 8 MP camera.
Toshiba Glasses Free 3D laptop
– $2100 for this powerful notebook.
Cisco Supplies Snooping Gear for China
-500,000 cameras will go into Congquing, China
Phone Data to Analyze Traffic Shutdown
– Your tracking data put to good use.
The First Person to live 150 years is Alive Now
For some reason, I missed this article. It’s a great read – we are getting older with better care. There is expected to be one person in the world that will live to the age of 150.
Geek Smack! Geek News:
Music Geeks: FaderFox LV3 Live Controller
– A great little controller for tracks. Completely programmable. £250
Green: T-shirt Charges through Ambient Sound
– Speakers turn sound 80db or higher into energy. A rock concert could charge your phone
Dr. Who: TARDIS Soap Gets You Clean
– TARDIS soap is only $16.50
Camera: Frankesteintax: 1917 Kodak Camera on DLSR
– Great Steampunk project
Gamer: Cheap Video Games for Summer Drought
– RNR Mongoose makes some recommendations as to what video games to play again.
Hygene: Darth Hairdryer
– Feel Darth Vader’s breath as your hair gets dry.
Eco: Get a Species Named After You
– For $2,500 you can get a species named after you. Could there be a “Geekazine” species in the future?
Apple: Get the Prototype iPhone 4
– When we checked, the ebay auction was taken down.
Google+ launches, Yet Mark Zuckerberg is on the top of the most followed list to Google+. Could it be because he has 4 profiles? Michael Jackson has a profile. The limited beta is still in effect at this point and so far so good. Some people are ready to exodus Facebook, but there is one issue – Google+ is still in beta. How soon will it be before it turns into Facebook?
Facebook Wars? Facbook blocks Google+ Exporter tool – That is not a surprise. It’s someone else’s personal data. As long as Facebook doesn’t block any import tool to my pictures, video and posts.
The Geek Smack! is under a Creative Commons no-deriv license